Saturday, February 28, 2009

A question of ethics

(one more post to bring February up to the 4 posts a month quota)



Lately I've been feeling sort of guilty about somethings.

First, I took some songs from my friend's itunes when I plugged my ipod into her computer. She was fine with it, but I felt like I was stealing them afterwards. However, they are still on my ipod and I probably won't delete them. Apple made it very easy to 'steal' songs.

Second, we were taking a math test a few days ago and someone whispered to me "is the answer for this one 3?" I shook my head and made a bouncing motion with my finger, indicating that he should think about the fact the the graph bounced off the axis. He got it and started writing. Now that's cheating. But I didn't feel bad about it. Until later, when I thought about how it was cheating.

I feel like I'm trying to draw lines, this is OK and this is not. But I know that drawing lines is not going to get me anywhere, because I'm just going to keep trying to cross them. I know that I need to head in a direction of honesty. But that's so much easier said than done.



Also, I want things to be just and what I consider fair. For other people, I want punishment, I want guilt. But I excuse myself from doing these things.

No comments: