Saturday, March 20, 2010

Scripture Saturday

Ephesians 4:29
"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only that which is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that will give grace to those who hear."

I've chosen to memorize this verse this week. It seems to fit so well with this day and society, when putting other people down is so easy and when slander and swearing is becoming increasingly common.

I also think it applies to regular conversation - often I feel that I have spoken to soon or to quickly or at the wrong time and that I should have just kept my mouth shut, and if I had stopped to think for just a few seconds I would have realized this. The second half of the verse applies to the bromide "Think before you speak."

I, being someone who loves to write and make herself heard and gets love from words, often forget that sometimes my words may not be appropriate.

Cross-References with more thoughts about speech, if you are interested:
Ephesians 5:4; Col 3:8; Matt 12:34, Col 4:6; Eccles 10:12

No comments: