Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Forty Days

Last fall, Nov. 13-15th, I was on a retreat about the Holy Spirit with NavYouth. (http://navyouth.org/)
While there, the speaker challenged us to follow Jesus example and fast from something for forty days, something that was distracting us from the Lord and hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit. I chose to fast from reading fiction, some of my friends said good-bye to Facebook.

I was listening to Adventures in Odyssey about a week ago (yes, I am in college and I listen to a program designed for eight-year-olds.) I've learned a lot from Adventures in Odyssey and they recently ran an episode on fasting.  (http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000001185.cfm)

This episode reminded me about the retreat, and I decided to test myself again. However, my time-waster has changed from silly little novels to online games and online television. As of Sunday (11/7), I am trying to go forty days without Bejewled Blitz, Neopets, Hulu, or Netflix. I also decided not to check out any movies from the college library, which I have been doing the past few weeks.

Maybe there's something you should give up too? Or, if not, just keep my fast in mind!
I'll try to let you know how it's going every so often, in another attempt to force myself to blog more often!

No comments: