Friday, October 21, 2011

the 'R' words

Yesterday, in my physics discussion, one of my classmates said this:
"yeah, everyone got totally raped by that exam."
Uh...What? Excuse me? The students in your class got sexually abused by an exam? I don't think so.
Don't use the word rape lightly - it trivializes the act and the suffering of women who actually have been raped. (And it's not something I thought about until I took women's studies, but it is something that I think is important.) How about this instead: "yeah, everyone flunked that exam".

Here's an article from someone more articulate than I about the same subject:
http://feministing.com/2011/10/05/dear-johnny-depp-no-photoshoots-arent-like-rape/

There's another 'R' word that my same classmate uses all the time:
"Man, this whole seating chart thing is so retarded."
Again...What? Hold up now, sitting in assigned seats is like having a cognitive disorder? Now that's not true.
As someone who babysat for a little guy with autism, it's super annoying to hear that used out of proper context. How about this instead: "Man, this whole seating chart thing is super annoying."

The president of my university, Dr. Freeman Hrabowski, likes to repeat this quote:
"Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions
Watch your actions, they become your habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character - it becomes your destiny."

No comments: