Sunday, January 27, 2013

An interesting cab ride

This past weekend, I took a trip to Seattle. While there, when riding in a shuttle/taxi, my driver was listening to some Salsa music with a distinctly African flair. It was pretty catchy, but I didn't think all that much of it. Then he asked me if I minded it, or if I liked it. I said I didn't mind, at which point he told me that he'd recorded it himself. All the instrument tracks, all the vocals, he'd recorded and mixed on his own, and he was playing them in his shuttle to get feedback.

He told me he had two principles in life. First, to always be unique, and Second, to never try, but to always be a success the first time. So, in recording his CD, he played it for anyone in his car, to get their feedback so that when he publishes it, he'll be a success and not have to drive anymore.

He was from Congo, had been in the US for six years, and was super dedicated to his music. I was impressed by his confidence to ask total strangers to support his music, and so I'm writing about the experience here on my blog. I wish sometimes I had that kind of confidence.

Here's a photo of him from his facebook fan page (David Salsa):

No comments: