Saturday, August 31, 2013

Senior Year

So, I'm in my senior year of college. Whoa. It's a little hard to wrap my mind around that fact. I started this blog my sophomore year of high school. It's a lot of fun seeing how I've changed since then. I think that's one of the reasons I write, is to keep track of myself, so I can see myself growing up. But I don't feel like I've grown up. When did it happen? The director of the summer camp I worked at made an interesting observation. She said "I remember who I was at 5, 12, 21, and 35. I'm the same person." (addressing each of the different age girls and moms at camp with us). And while yes, I am the same girl who started school at UMBC, I do feel like a woman will walk away from the school this May. Every time someone reminds me I'm a senior, I get surprised.

But anyways. I'm sure I'll be writing more posts about graduation and stuff in May. Right now, I want to write about my classes this semester, since it's something I've done almost every semester in college. So, without further ado, here's my fall:

1. Principles of Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Not only is this class with my favorite Dr. Oates (who's been featured on this blog a lot), I feel like it will really stretch me philosophically. Yeah, I know, not something you'd expect in a computer class. But the first day we were already talking about the idea that someday there will be computers indistinguishable from humans, and weather we believed it was possible or not. I am really excited about this AI class because I do truly believe AI can be used to simplify and improve human life. It's my "just-for-fun" CS class.

2. Introduction to Network Security (NetSec)
OK, this class I could tell right off the bat was going to be a tough one. Dr. Joshi is a great professor. I really love his lectures. But, having been in his Operating Systems class, I know he expects a lot from students, and I already feel a bit behind since I had one of the pre-requisites for this class waived for me. I am probably going to spend the most out-of-class time on this course, but I know it's super practical for today's security-centric age of computing.

3. Design and Analysis of Algorithms (Algorithms)
This is one of my last two required-to-graduate courses and I'm not excited about it. Algorithms is understood to be a really tough CS class. Funnily enough, the first day, the professor posed the question "So what is an algorithm" and I don't think anyone in my class answered it satisfactorily. I hope I can do well in this course. It's a new professor for me (Dr. Kalpakis) and a lot of good study-group friends in the class so I think I'll do fine.

4. Technical Communication (Tech. Writing)
I actually haven't been to this class yet. I'll let you all know how it goes when I attend it on Tuesday!

No comments: