Saturday, December 17, 2016

A Poem About Dad's Treatments

Hi folks! I wrote this poem about Dad's cancer treatments back when he started his most recent trial. I didn't post it at the time, but I'm sharing it now since we know (kinda) how the trial treatment is going. - Emily

In Hamilton they sing “Helpless”
But it’s helpless with happiness
Not this frustration
This weird anticipation

When you want to be realistic
But not quite pessimistic
To plan for a future and be hopeful
But not disappointed or ungrateful

Look around, it’s been a year
We can cheer that Dad’s still here
But I want to know what time we have got
I forget I have privileges that others have not

I don’t want to sound depressing
This is my attempt at expressing
And processing for you
What I’m going through

“It is well with my soul” was my favorite song
But now when I sing, I question if it’s wrong
Is it well with my soul? Can I say that in truth?
It’s harder to sing now then it was as a youth

What I know in my head and what I feel in my heart
Those two are often worlds apart
I know that God cares and loves us a lot
But it still seems unfair, this straw that we’ve got

A lot of folks say this will be cured one day
Maybe soon, as many hope and pray
But for now, it is not, and we pay the price
As Dad rolls experimental treatment dice

No comments: