Saturday, December 21, 2019

A Summary of my New Year's Resolutions

1) Sprint Distance Triathlon - 1 pt
If I could give myself more than one point, this is the one that deserves it. I didn't only do a single triathlon, I stretched myself into doing three (one that turned out to have no swimming, but I was prepared for three). And I'm still training (albeit a little slower in the winter) for future races. I've always said I was only "sort-of" a runner because of how slow I run, but you can't be sort-of a triathlete - you either are or you aren't, and this year, I am one. 

2) Chronological Daily Audio Bible - 0.5 pt
I started out so strong on this one, but I got frustrated with the extra, non-bible stuff in the podcast, and stopped. It was interesting hearing the bible chronologically though, as it put a lot of the old testament into context for me. I got through King Solomon's reign in history before falling out of the habit, and it was good to be reminded of the history of the nation of Israel.

3) Jen Wilkin's God of Covenant Bible study - 1 pt
This one was pretty great. I enjoyed my time studying the second half of Genesis having studied the first eleven chapters last summer. And I found myself identifying with biblical characters I have typically ignored. Genesis is a set of stories that you grow up learning as kids, but it was great to read the text of these familiar stories and see new themes.

4) Make a second quilt (gotta use that fabric!) - 1 pt
I did this! I finished a second quilt top, but I still have not bound the quilt from last year, so that extends into next year. I also made some other blocks for smaller quilt projects.

5) Sew a piece of my own clothing - 0 pts 
I had such good intentions here. I bought the fabric and made a paper cutout of the pattern, but then I got scared and never cut my actual fabric. I did do some quick basting stitches to put together this year's Halloween costume, which made me feel crafty, but not enough of anything to call this resolution a success.

6) 2019 Reading challenge - 0.5 pt
So, I failed to finish this challenge, but the intent of the resolution was to broaden my reading horizons, which I would say I successfully achieved this year. I was trying to do the "Reading Women" challenge, which had a list of 24 books with the caveat that they should all be written by or about women. Here are the 15 books I managed to read for the challenge (I read some other books this year too, but they are not recorded because they didn't meet one of the challenge categories).

A book about nature - Old Lady on the Trail by Mary Davidson
A myth retelling - Gingerbread by Helen Oyemi
A book written by a South Asian author  - The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey
A book about or set in Appalachia - Miracle Creek by Angie Kim
A book featuring a religion other than your own - Home Fire by Kamila Shamsee
A book you picked up because of the cover - Becoming by Michelle Obama
A multigenerational family saga - Divine Secrets of the YaYa sisterhood by Rebecca Wells
A book by Jhumpa Lahiri - Interpreter of Maladies (by Jhumpa Lahiri, obviously)
A book you bought or borrowed in 2019  - My Grape Paris by Laura Bradbury
A romance or love story  - To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
Any book from a series - Always Dakota by Debbie MaComber
A novella - After Many Years, by L. M. Montgomery
A mystery or thriller written by a woman of color - Aunty Lee’s Delights by Olivia Yu
A children's book - Clik’d, by Tamara Stone
A young adult book by a woman of color - The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas  

7) 12 baked complexities - 0.5 pt
I was doing pretty well on this for the first half of the year! I made an ice cream cake, DIY pretzels, DIY pizza crust, and a number of gluten free baked goods (not pictured). I didn't do some of the things I wanted to try (like DIY puff pastry or DIY croissants) so I'm not giving myself a full point. I also did the Paleo diet for three weeks this year, which expanded my cooking horizons dramatically!



8) Complete a capture the flag hackathon challenge - 1 pt
I did this because one of my co-workers started a monthly hackathon happy hour, which I have enjoyed. I don't know that I'll do it again, but I'll count it as a pass - thanks to my workplace!

So 7/8 that I made progress on and 4/8 that I definitively completed, I'm happy with that.

I'm still putting my 2020 list together - I'll post that January 1st. Have a blessed holiday, all!

No comments: