Thursday, August 1, 2013

Grandparents and marriage

So, my grandparents are visiting for the week. It's been quite interesting. My grandparents are in their eighties. My grandmother is very energetic, excited about keeping herself as active as possible in her old age. My grandfather is more inclined to sit quietly.

I am learning a lot from the brief time I'm spending with them. It's most interesting to see how my grandparents marriage plays a huge part in their aging. Multiple times today, my grandfather told my grandma he loved her, to hear her almost automatic reply "Love you too precious". They were walking around the lake today and my grandfather made a remark about "when a girl gets married...", basically detailing how a wife is supposed to take care of her husband. My grandmother has so much patience. I doubt my grandfather would survive without her.

A good friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks, and another just got engaged a few weeks ago. As they look forward to their new lives, I wish them all happiness, but I can't help but wonder what changes will come about in my friends if/when they hit the 50+ years of marriage mark my grandparents have reached.


No comments: