Friday, August 1, 2008

Books and Barbie dolls

I read a mavelous kids book today. It's called Julia's Kitchen. The book is about a eleven year old girl, Cara, whose mother and little sister die in a fire, and how she deals with her grief. It was a sad little story, but ended on a message of hope and love. In all honesty it made me cry. I won't spoil the story but it should be read!

My thought for today comes from playing Barbies with my younger sister. We were each going to pick two barbies and dress them up and then go play with them. Well, since I wasn't interested in dressing my barbie doll in a cinderella gown I began to search for some regular clothes. In the multitude of boxes, I found several clothes that would have made me blush if I saw them on a real person. I eventually did find some cute barbie clothes that I liked and that were modest, but it took me at least fourty five minutes of serching through the box to find some. Now, If you think about it, three to seven year old little girls are going to be playing with these dolls, you'd think the maker's would make some better clothes for them! I got to explain to my little brother what modesty was as a result of these dolls, but wouldn't it have been easier to just make modest clothing for barbies in the first place? It's not like it's impossible!


Quote: "Are you, daughter of God, all that he planned for you to be?" -Brett Harris
"we will become the men and women we strive to be" - Alex Harris

No comments: