Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dr. Anna

Today I was having lunch with Alec, and he remarked that he doesn't know anyone else at any other school who so consistently talks about the great people there. We were talking about one of our favorite subjects - the sheer number of phenomenal professors at our school. And, with our excellent rating as the 4th top school for undergraduate education, why wouldn't we talk about that?

In all seriousness, one of the main reasons I'm at this school is because of some fabulous professors who scored in my book immediately. One of these professors is Dr. Anna Shields, who at the time was the Director of the Honors College. Dr. Shields, with her bright, happy smile and commitment to an Honors education, persuaded me of the benefits of the UMBC Honors college and won my heart, in terms of professors, with her excellent presentation about the poetry of Chinese letter writing (see, more letters!) during Honors Forum my freshman semester. When a relatively small blonde woman starts a lecture by jabbering in Mandarin, you remember!

While my interaction with Dr. Shields has greatly decreased since her stepping back from the Honors College, she's still in my list of top professors at UMBC, and I hope that she teaches another Honors Seminar so that I can enjoy the pleasure of her instruction again. This Friday, she's going to be hosting Lunch in the Lounge, and I really look forward to getting to talk with her again!

(link to an abstract about Dr. Shields' work)

(PS - this might turn into a new mini-blog series about my favorite teachers. We'll see.)

No comments: