Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dr. Hrabowski

Have I ever told you the reason I write for the Retriever Weekly? Well, if you don't already know, I write for the Retriever because a fantastic person here encouraged me to do so. Last spring, a lot of us CWITs were talking about how Meyerhoff Scholars get recognition at this school that we simply do not get. We were encouraged to get that recognition for ourselves by writing for the school paper. We were told that when we honored and respected ourselves, other people would see and hear that and begin to recognize us. I, consequently, joined the paper journalist staff and will be on the editorial staff this coming fall.

The person who encouraged me to write for the paper was none other than the fantastic president of this university, Dr. Freeman Hrabowski, who has just been named one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people. Which is fantastic publicity for our school. Check it out below:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2111975_2111976_2112119,00.html

Alec and I don't talk about our great professors for nothing! We really are receiving our educations from some of the best people the world has to offer, and we both have the pleasure of personally knowing Dr. Hrabowski.

No comments: